Thursday 14 October 2010

What Time of the Year it it?

Yesterday husband and I decided we would go to a local Mall as I particularly wanted to visit a Hobbycraft shop. It was a lovely day, blue skies and sunshine though a little colder than of late and I decided that I would cling on to summer for a bit longer and wore light weight clothes and sandals. I did stick out a bit like a sore thumb as most other people were wearing autumn colours and coats, but it is only mid October and I did have a jacket.

I visited the hobby shop and had a good look around and then we went to a couple more shops and stopped for coffee. We then decided to head nearer to home and pop into a local hostelry for lunch. The sun was still shining and it was definitely warmer than the morning had been. We parked the car and walked into the hotel to see a Christmas tree, fully decorated, stood in the hallway!

I should have asked why so early, but didn't and can only assume that because the owners have only recently taken over it is their way of promoting Christmas Day lunch. It's still a bit early for decorations though, isn't it? Or is it just me - perhaps I had better get my winter clothes out!

13 comments:

jabblog said...

It's a shame when the seasons are mixed up like that. I had my first two Christmas catalogues at the end of July!! Christmas decorations don't go up in this house until the week before Christmas Day at the earliest and they come down on Twelfth Night.

Bill S. said...

Seems like people are getting an earlier start each year for Christmas. I will wait awhile.

EG CameraGirl said...

Definitely too early! :)

Chris said...

Omgosh I hate that when shops and restaurants have Christmas deco before even Nov 5th!
Its like racing our lives away!
I am wearing winter clothes as the temps have plummeted and it is suddenly bed socks weather LOL
Chris x

Hadriana's Treasures said...

Yes. It is creeping up but Christmas right now seems a bit early. Or have they left it up all year?

Hildred said...

It's not Christmas - it's merchandising.....

cheshire wife said...

It is definitely a bit nippy around here now, but we haven't put the clocks back yet, so it is still summertime of some sort. Wear whatever you like. I have seen girls wearing boots all through the summer.

Maggie May said...

I can't get into Christmas at this time of the year. I won't be drawn into it!
Maggie X

Nuts in May

Gill - That British Woman said...

I agree Christmas starts so early now, with decorations and trees being sold in the stores as early as September over here.

Gill in Canada

asa said...

Nice blog..
please visit my blog too ...
greetings

DeniseinVA said...

Most definitely a bit early. We start to see Christmas decorations after Thanksgiving generally, but it seems to be getting earlier and earlier these days. I think we saw our local shopping area all lit up way before then last year. We are pretty traditional and put up our tree on Christmas Eve and take it down on Twelfth Night, something our family did way back in my childhood. Sounds like you had a lovely day out.

Mara said...

Oh come on, even Santa is still enjoying his holiday in the Caribbean! Wearing summer clothes!!

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

jabblog - I do decorate the house about 2nd week in December and wait until Twelfth Night to take them down again. October definitely too early.

Bill S - Too early for me!

EG Wow - Hear hear!

Always Smiling - I am now in warmer clothes as weather is definitely autumnal and let's enjoy the autumn before we have to begin thinking about Christmas.

Hadriana - No, it is a new addition. New owners I think, advertising Christmas fare.

Hildred and Charles - you are absolutely correct.

Cheshire Wife - yes all the seasons seem to merge into one apparelwise!

Maggie - We should all resist I think - far too early.

Gill - and we have seen calendars on sale all summer, cards for the past month.


Information - many thanks for your visit - I will try to visit your blog too.

Denise - we did enjoy our day out but wasn't inspired by the sight of a Christmas tree to begin decorating our home just yet. Probably early December.

Mara - Oh I do hope he is. Wonderful image!