Thursday 31 March 2011

March 2011

Here we are again at the end of another month. March has been a kinder month for me and my family than February was this year. To begin with the weather has been marvellous. Plenty of warm sunny days with few of the March winds we would normally expect and very little rain. We have even turned off our central heating although I realise that we may have to switch it back on again before Spring is well and truly over. We shall see!

The month has provided a few celebrations. To begin with there were two birthdays - my son was 43 on 4th March and my mother 89 on 9th March. Son was still in Australia for his birthday but returned to the UK on the 11th with his wife and three children. They are going to be staying with DIL's parents in Worcester for a few weeks and are looking to settle there. So a few days after their return we travelled to see them and had a bit of a family get together to welcome them home. This coming weekend they will visit us and we are planning another party!

It was lovely to see them all again and to know that they are now living so much closer. They were in Australia for 7 years but I think the longing for "home" became too much, especially for my DIL, who really and truthfully didn't really want to go in the first place. They agreed at the time that they would give it a few years and if one of them really wanted to return to UK then they would. So they are here and I just hope that all goes well for them now. The two eldest children are already in school and seem to be settling well. Jacob (aged 10) has a teacher who comes from Australia!

My mother isn't too well at the moment and is due for a check up next week. I actually called her GP to see her today but he says there is nothing wrong. I don't agree and feel that it could well be old age that is now taking its toll. We will get next week over and then I shall take it a step further to try to discover what is wrong and how to help her. My daughter has had a bout of shingles and immediately followed that up with a really heavy cold but is now well on the road to recovery and should get back to work next week.

We have had lunches with friends which is ALWAYS a pleasure. Some have been impromptu and others planned, both out and at home. All great fun, with much reminiscing and laughter.

I managed to finish my bedroom chair covers and although they are not perfect I am very pleased with the result and the chair now looks so much nicer than it did.



My next project will be to re-line a favourite winter coat, with help, of course!

Finally a picture of Springtime in Somerset.

10 comments:

DeniseinVA said...

So much goes on in a month doesn't it Anne? Happy Belated Birthday to both you son and your mum. I hope your mum feels better. I also hope that you all have a wonderful April. Lovely that your son and his family have come back home. My sister lived in Naunton Beachamp many years ago and I visited often, remember the area so well and really liked it.

Hildred said...

Welcome back Anne, - you have surely had a diverse February, - full of good things and some not so good. You will so enjoy your family newly returned from Australia, and I hope that your mother's health doesn't deteriorate, - somehow you lose a lot of energy once you turn 85 - two hours in the garden now really does me in. Hope you will have more time for your blog, - love your sheep and lambs.

Maggie May said...

Glad to see you back and it is lovely to see the Spring lambs.
The chair looks lovely..... you are clever.
Good that you had such a lovely family gathering and I am glad your son came back home ....... though sorry to hear your mother isn't doing so well.
Maggie X

Nuts in May

joo said...

It's so good to hear from you Anne! Hope April will be even nicer and easier for you and your beloved than March (despite the T.S.Elliot, statement that April is the cruelest month!!)
By the way, my best wishes for your Mum and Son (a little bit late, but honest!
Hugs
Joo
PS. I love your chair:)

Gill - That British Woman said...

good to catch up with your news. Hoping you will get to the bottom of what is wrong with your mother. Wish her a belated Happy Birthday from me.

Glad your son and family got home safe and sound.

Gill

Jay said...

Sounds as if you've had quite a busy and often trying time in the last couple of months - but I'm glad to see you've also achieved some good things, had some happy times, and end on a hopeful note with that lovely spring picture! I do hope you find out what's wrong with your mother and they can help her to perk up a bit.

You must be really pleased to have your son and his family back in the country. And the chair looks great!

Cezar and Léia said...

Bonjour dear Anne!
So sorry for the news about your mommy. I hope she is feeling better now.
I'm also here trying to set up all things at home, trying to go on with my French classes and find some time to blog.It's not easy.Maybe a need some kind of blogvacation! :)
HEy, your chair is fabulous, I like it a lot!
We are always thinking of you and sending you love and good energies.
Take care!
hugs
Léia and little Luna

fizzycat said...

Hope your mum is well now.Glad your son and daughter are ok. The chair is very nicely done.Take care.

Sandi McBride said...

First of all, hope that you get your Mum's ailments sorted out...doctors don't know it all unfortunately, otherwise they'd be Gods and we'd have no use for the real One, would we? So, prayers for her health at Easter, and oh yes, hope you have a happy one...know that the children being home will go a long way towards making your heart merry!
Sandi

Three Million Movie said...

your blog got something in it
but you could use this in benefit
go here and think about ... just think
http://www.ablehosting.blogspot.com