Monday 18 July 2011

Time Out

The last few months hasn't been all work and stress, husband and I have managed to take some time to ourselves as well.

Last Christmas our daughter gave us a membership for the National Trust and, apart from an outing earlier in the year, we haven't had the chance to make use of it. Last Thursday we paid a visit to Barrington Court in Somerset and thoroughly enjoyed our day. We were lucky with the weather which was very warm and sunny and as there are some beautiful gardens there we made the most of our time just wandering around, enjoying all the sights and scents and sounds of an English country garden. I think we appreciated it all the more because we no longer have a garden of our own. I have posted some pictures of the gardens below and hope you like them. As it was such a lovely day we decided not to go inside and look at the house but will save that for a trip later in the year when the weather is cooler.

Part of the house


Some of the old stables


Beautiful hollyhocks


A bed in the White Garden



Striking orange flowers (not sure what they are called)


The moles have been busy


A herd of cows in an adjoining meadow


We are already planning our next NT trip.




14 comments:

cheshire wife said...

I am pleased that you are finding the time to enjoy yourselves. Visiting gardens is a great way to see a garden without having to do the work yourself.

joo said...

I would do the same Anne! Is there anything better than beautiful garden on lovely summer day?
Hugs:)
Joo

Maggie May said...

I love going round National Trust properties.This one looks a great place to visit.
The Hollyhocks always remind me of my childhood because my dad used to have them in one of our first gardens. They seemed much taller then, with me being so much smaller!
Maggie X

Nuts in May

DeniseinVA said...

What a lovely gift your daughter gave you. I'm glad you got the chance to go to this beautiful old home. It must have been wonderful. Hope your summer is stress-free now Anne. I wish you a very happy one.

Cezar and Léia said...

Bonjour dear Anne,
What a wonderful place!I love the picture of the stables and the flowers are also beautiful!
Here the weather is not so good, but my brother came from Brazil and it's nice because he plays a lot with me! :)
purrs and love
Luna - We love Luna

Anonymous said...

Wow, really surprising and interesting blog.
You can visit my also and follow/subscribe if you want :)

http://bianchii.blogspot.com

Have a nice day :D

Mara said...

I visited Wimpole Hall a few times and loved that (even though we didn't have much time as I was on a school trip).

I just read your previous post as well (my computer is still giving me grief) and hope your Mum is able to continue at home feeling okay.

Cynthia L. H. said...

What beautiful photos! It looks as if you really enjoyed the time. ;^) I'm glad.
Hugs,
C

Hildred said...

Sounds like a lovely outing, Anne - so important that you have these times to relax and enjoy. Beautiful garden flowers, and loved the nice pastoral pictures of the cows.

Gill - That British Woman said...

what a beautiful country property and gardens, glad you had a good time,

Gill in Canada

a fashion blogger said...

gorgeous house!
good luck with that garden. i wish that I could keep up with a garden. :}

Jay said...

Phew! When I read 'Time Out' I thought 'Oh no - another of my blogging friends is giving up!' So I'm relieved that that's not it!

What a gorgeous property. I love the stables.

I think the red/orange flowers are Rudbeckia. Maybe. I do love the old-fashioned look that most of the National Trust places have. It's so restful.

Cassy said...

Great shots! Specially the flower garden.

Cassy from Beginner Free Guitar Lessons

Ladybird World Mother said...

How simply lovely... adore those photos... what better things to do with a gorgeous summer's day!