Thursday 13 August 2009

Sky Watch Friday



Weston Super Mare has it's own "eye" for the summer - a big wheel - and last week OH and I decided to go on it and have a good look at the surrounding views. Fortunately we picked a lovely morning.




We had a "pod" to ourselves and our trip meant we went around, slowly, about 5 times. I took a few photos but as they had to be through the pod windows they are not very clear.

If you click on each picture you will get a little more detail.

This is the Welsh coast and you can see Flat Holm (the island with the lighthouse) in the Bristol Channel.



Next is Steep Holm, also in the Bristol Channel but a little further along. The word "Holm" is derived from a Scandinavian word meaning "island in an estuary".



In the next picture you may be able to make out a tourist camping area, with Brean Down to the right of it. A Victorian Fort was built on Brean Down around 1865 and is still there. I believe that Barnes Wallis' "bouncing bomb" was tested off there during World War II.



For more sky pictures from around the world - click here.

20 comments:

sunnymama said...

Great sky pictures! I especially love the first one and it sounds like you had a great time :)

Louise said...

What wonderful views!

Maggie May said...

Great photos. It is quite funny because I have a similar post in my blogger drafts folder!
Was waiting till I had been up in the pod!
Will keep it on hold for now!

Anonymous said...

Great photos! I especially enjoyed the first. Looked similar to the Eye in London when I was there.

ms toast burner said...

Sounds like a better deal than the London Eye! Five times around and a pod all to yourselves... brilliant!

I went on the London Eye. Squished in, once around. A few days later my flight from Heathrow circled right over the Eye and gave a much more spectacular view... I had to laugh.

Very nice photos and cheers for the Holm info. I like that sort of thing. :-)

Jim said...

Great ferris wheel shot.
Sydney - City and Suburbs

SquirrelQueen said...

You had a fantastic view from the pod, more scenic than any wheel I've been on. Beautiful photos, when enlarged there is a lot to be seen.

joo said...

I like your sky - sea photos, especially the last one.
Have a great day:)

3c said...

The only big wheel I've ever been on is the London one and I was really frightened when I got on - and then terribly disappointed when I had to get off after one time round. Fortunately, the pod I was in wasn't crowded.

Barnes Wallis got around with his Bouncing Bombs, didn't he! They were tested on The Fleet as well.

It must be interesting to move from one coast to another.

Sandi McBride said...

Now there is a Ferris Wheel I could get on and stay on for a bit! I love them!!! Love the views, good job!!!
Sandi

diane b said...

That must have been fun. The views and information are very interesring.

DeniseinVA said...

Hi Anne, great series of SWF photos. Must have been fun to go up on the wheel.

Mara said...

No mudflats? Or can you only see those from Weston-super-Mare?

Ladybird World Mother said...

What fun to go in one of those... I just love them. London Eye is fun but much shorter than your trip! xx

Cezar and Léia said...

This wheel is amazing and the other pictures beautiful as well!Great series dear Anne!
Have a nice weekend
Léia

Jane Hards Photography said...

How is the pier these days? I didn't know you had your own eye now too. No sure I would go up there on a windy day though.

Pam said...

I'm glad you enjoyed your pod rife and I loved the pictures (they made me homesick as usual)
I did a pod ride at Niagara Falls last year and was half loving it, half terrified. I put on a brave face for my son though!

JJ said...

Looks great, wish we had one in Torbay rather than an enormous white balloon which is very ugly & rarely flies because it's too windy.
Great pics considering they were taked through glass.
JJ

www.retiredandcrazy.com said...

I love an "Eye". It's like being on a chair lift, calm and tranquil with amazing views.

Jay said...

Wow, that's quite a size, isn't it? I bet the views were spectacular in person - it's always difficult to get a good shot through plexiglass. Or even proper glass if it's dirty.