Tuesday 4 May 2010

My World Tuesday


I had a busy time last week. It was our grand-daughter's 6th birthday and she had asked me to make her birthday cake. She made her choice from my book -



On Monday I set to and made the cake.


I decided to make it three colours/flavours, vanilla, strawberry and chocolate - a bit fiddly but this is how it looked -


Then it had to be cut and shaped and with the necessary ingredients, my book and a little patience, this is the finished cake! I wonder why she chose this one!


Imogen lives with her mummy in Stratford upon Avon (about 100 miles away - 160.93 k) so on Tuesday OH and I drove to Stratford to deliver the cake in time for her birthday party on Wednesday. In the late afternoon I strolled into the town (about 15 minutes walk from daughter's house). It was a lovely day and I took a few photographs.

This statue of William Shakespeare is in a lofty position, on a plinth


overlooking some of the lovely flower beds in the surrounding Bancroft Gardens





This view across the river is of the church where he is buried


The Royal Shakespeare Theatre (now without scaffolding) has undergone extensive transformation work since 2007 and is due to be re-opened during 2010 - read more here


and this is a view across the river in the other direction


There is a bird sanctuary here


and this Canada Goose was having a lovely bathe




Grand-daughter loved her cake, had a wonderful time on her birthday and we came back home for a rest!

Thanks to the My World Tuesday team - Klaus, Sandy, Wren, Fishing Guy, Louise and Sylvia. For more looks at other peoples' worlds, please click here.

11 comments:

Hildred said...

Such nice visiting photos, - flowers and ducks and buildings!

And your cake is a masterpiece, Anne. I can imagine how thrilled your granddaughter was.

Gilly said...

What a fantastic cake! Imogen is a lucky little girl to have such a clever Granny!

Cezar and Léia said...

Anne...you have a busy WORLD!
wow and how talented you are!This cake is wonderful!
I know your grandaughter is very happy, you are also happy, everyone is happy, happy end,happy family!CUTE!!!!!!
Also I loved the set of pictures,great shots!
Hugs
purrs and love
mommy Léia and Luna

joo said...

Wow, the cake is really a work of art - your granddaughter must have been over the moon when she saw it, not mention tried:)
The tulips are fabulous, I love them all, well, I LOVE your world!
Hugs

Deb said...

adorable cake Anne...can see why she chose it...great photos...loved the tour...

jabblog said...

What an amazing cake! I imagine your granddaughter loved it. How lucky she is to live in Stratford-on-Avon though I expect it gets busy with tourists.

Bradley Hsi said...

It is amazing how the cake look, your granddaughter must love it. We admire your skill. She is a luck girl.

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

Thank you to all for your very kind comments. A x

DeniseinVA said...

Lovely post Anne and one that brought back memories. First of all though, that cake was fantastic! How lucky to have a grandmother who creates such a beautiful birthday cake. My sister and her husband used to live half an hour away from Stratford-on-Avon, and so when I visited them, we would go there. Always very enjoyable.

Rachella said...

How pretty!

Mary said...

Wow...great post! Love the cake...lucky daughter! the flowers are wonderful and the scenery...wow.