Saturday 6 December 2008

Christmas (ii) - A Cool Shepherd

Over the years, like most families, we have accumulated lots of different Christmas decorations. Some lasted only a short time, either getting broken or, dare I say it, becoming unfashionable. However quite a few have stood the test of time, are rediscovered each year and set in their customary place of honour.

One such was made by my son when he first started school, so he would have been 5 years old. Each year this is placed beneath our Christmas tree and after the festivities are over is reverently wrapped up and carefully stowed away again for another eleven months.

A few years ago our eldest grand-daughter, then about 5 years old herself, asked me about it and I told her how her uncle had made it at school when he was about her age. She looked at it and then at me and said "I think it's really cool".

So do I.


12 comments:

DeniseinVA said...

It certainly is very cool, and a treasured family heirloom Anne. Thanks for sharing such a precious ornament with us. Some things will never ever go out of style, especially those made for us by our children.

Maggie May said...

It really is cool.
Glad you snapped it and shared with us. I am pleased that children still appreciate the nativity. After all...... that is what Christmas is all about.
The coolest thing is that you have kept this lovely piece of work for your granddaughter to see!

Arija said...

These are the family treasures not all the gold in Christendom can replace.
I came to see your skywatch and I did and it is very nice, but this is precious.

abcd said...

I think he is definately a really cool shepherd and this is a really cool post!

ADDY said...

I love it and I bet you will never have the heart to throw it out. It is surely standing the test of time.

Jay said...

It's WAY cool! And it's every bit as good as some of the hand-crafted ornaments you can buy, too! Did he grow up artistic?

cheshire wife said...

You have obviously looked after him very well. He looks brand new.

Kate said...

That is lovely - my Christmas tree is full of three generations-worth of baubles, dolls, and toys (my late Mum's,mine and my grown up children) there are some amazing things - I may do a blog about it if I get the time!!
www.iRamble.co.uk

Jeff B said...

Those are the best decorations one could ever have. Nothing store bought would even come close.

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

Thank you all so much for your comments. I love to read them. What I forgot to mention was that the shepherd was made out of an old Fairy Liquid bottle (for those of you who didn't guess) and my son is now 40 years old!

Gill - That British Woman said...

I have a bag of things the kids made over the years, and still keep them, those memories are priceless.

Gill in Canada

Hadriana's Treasures said...

Great shepherd. I'm not sure we have any heirlooms as yet. I'm hoping the children will be inspired...fingers crossed this Christmas. Thank you for showing him to us and telling us the story.