Sunday 11 January 2009

What would you choose?

OH and I frequently listen to the radio, sometimes local radio or Radio 2 but more often Radio 4.

Our favourite programmes include "The Archers" (an everyday story of countryfolk). I can almost hear some of you groaning but expect many will be familiar with the signature tune. When I was a little girl (55 + years ago) I used to listen to it with my parents but lost track of it when I left home. However when OH and I got together and I discovered that he was an avid follower I soon became hooked again myself.

Another must for us is the quiz game "I'm sorry I haven't a Clue". This was hosted by the late, great Humphrey Lyttelton and his comic timing was perfect. The shows are funny and laden with double entendres and we never tire of listening to repeats of the recordings.

One programme I try not to miss is "Desert Island Discs". This is broadcast on Sunday mornings at 11.15, immediately after the omnibus edition of "The Archers" and repeated on Friday mornings at 9.15. This week's "castaway" was Ruth Padel. I had not heard of her prior to the broadcast but she is an acclaimed poet and has said that wildness and wild animals lie at the heart of her work. She is also the great, great grand-daughter of Charles Darwin.

For those of you who may not know the programme it was created in 1942 by Roy Plomley and he hosted it for many years. He was followed by Michael Parkinson, then Sue Lawley and now it is the turn of Kirsty Young. I have heard the story that apparently Roy Plomley had the idea one night when he couldn't sleep, wrote it down on a piece of paper, went back to sleep and the rest, as they say, is history! The guests are many and varied and names such as George Clooney, Dame Judi Dench, Johnny Cash, Jack Vettriano, Michael Eavis and Princess Margaret are just a few of the very long list of celebrities that have been invited to take part and make their desert island choices. I always find the programme fascinating, whether or not I know the name of the castaway or have any knowledge of, or interest in, their particular field. I often find myself wondering which 8 discs I would want to have with me should I find myself in those particular circumstances and it is difficult to choose from the dozens, possibly hundreds of songs and melodies I have loved to listen to over the past 60 + years! Like most I imagine, my tastes have changed, so the choice would be different from year to year probably. Two though, that do stand out for me are Tommy Dorsey and his Orchestra playing "The Sunny Side of the Street" as this has been a favourite for quite a while now (click here to listen) and the other long-time favourite is the Beatles' "In My Life".

The castaways are told they are given the Bible (or other religeous work), the complete works of Shakespeare and may choose one other book. Again there have been some interesting choices and my opinion on this also varies from time to time.

Finally a luxury is allowed, as long as it is not in the form of any kind of rescue craft or communication appliance, food, shelter etc. Now of course all sorts of things spring to mind and there have been some wonderful requests (that of John Major being The Oval Cricket Ground, which was agreed!) but having had quite a while to ponder this I have decided my luxury would be a piano and a "teach yourself to play it" book. Have often wished I could play the piano, so what better opportunity - plenty of time, something to do and, hopefully, improve at and no-one to irritate!

So, what would you take to your desert island, should you by unlucky/lucky enough to be all washed up?

11 comments:

Mean Mom said...

I keep meaning to tune in to radio 4, occasionally, but never seem to get round to it. My mother used to listen to the Archers, so that would bring back some memories. Do they have the same theme tune?

I tend to get stuck on radio 2. I do enjoy the Jeremy Vine show, in a morning, but a lot of the other stuff ends up as background noise.

My luxury on a desert island would have to be my cross stitch, but I suppose it might count as more than one choice. The fabric would be useless without a needle and thread for example!

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

Mean Mom - I'm pretty sure you would get away with that, probably be provided with an endless supply of fabric, needles and thread! So don't worry!

And yes, the Archers still has the same theme tune. A x

Jay said...

Whenever I tune into Radio 4, which I do rarely, I always seem to catch the theme tune to the Archers - it's something of a running joke in our house. LOL!

What would I take? Well, I like your idea, but I think I'd choose the saxophone! With a supply of reeds or whatever it uses, of course!

That's if I couldn't have mosquito repellent. ;)

Gill - That British Woman said...

I would take my dh, as I'd be hopeless on my own on a desert island, and he's very handy!!!

Gill in Canada

Hadriana's Treasures said...

SJA...really enjoyed this post and am an avid Radio 4 fan too..agree with all your choices. What would I take? I don't know whether my tastes have changed but I said years ago (we did this at work) that I would like to take the book "Don Quijote" plus a hot water bottle. Would 2 things be allowed? :)

Winifred said...

Have to say I listen to Radio 2 or as it used to be known The Light Programme. I think that's a great name for it. My favourite is Wake up to Wogan, I used to drive to work crying with laughter listening to the daft meanderings on it. Well I had to cheer myself up some how. Now I drive my grandchildren to school laughing all the way and they look at me like I'm from another planet. Well I am, the planet TOG!

My husband listens to Radio 4 all the time in the car and is an avid Archers fan but I have never got into it.

As for the item for the desert island I'm not sure. Do we have a crate of sun block? If not that would have to be it. If we already had that then I suppose it would have to be a book but I would struggle to pick just one. I'd keep the bible but I think I'd swap the collected works of Shakespeare for the collected works of Jane Austen and my single book would be David Niven's autobiography The Moon's a Balloon, well I'd need a laugh wouldn't I and that's a great one.

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

Jay - think you could take either of those!

Gill - you may have to re-think that one - not sure you would be able to have dh with you!

Hadriana - you'd be allowed the book anyway - so imagine it would be a yes to the hot water bottle.


Winifred - sunblock - good choice. Not sure you would be able to swap the book but worth a try - you could take the David Niven book anyway.

A x

Gill - That British Woman said...

okay then.......A big package of headache pills, would that be allowed, as I always get a headache in the sun, otherwise a big wide brimmed hat......

Gill in Canada

cheshire wife said...

I have been thinking about this since Tuesday and still can not come up with a luxury that would be acceptable or even vaguely useful on a desert island. The book of my choice would be a gardening book.

just Gai said...

I'm addicted to Radio 4, but Im afraid I always switch it off when the Archers comes on. It's not that I don't like them so much as I never know what's going on. I do the same with all the radio dramas. My favouorites are the current affairs programmes (Today and PM) and the comedies (Just a Minute, I'm Sorry I Haven't Got a Clue, The Now Show, The News Quiz etc). I find listening to the radio relieves the boredom of household jobs and I learn lots of interesting things.

So that's what I would like to take with me to by Desert Island - a solar powered radio. It would keep me company.

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

Gill - yes I think either of those would be OK.

CW - a gardening book would be useful - perhaps you could ask for some garden tools as your luxury.

Gai - a solar powered radio - good choice.

Thanks to all for joining in.

A x