Saturday 20 March 2010

Our trip to London

We don't make a trip to London very often, preferring the slower pace of life of the little West Country town where we live. However, sometimes our capital city beckons and we make the effort.

At Christmas our daughter gave us theatre tokens (actually Christmas and birthday gifts combined), a lovely surprise and we originally thought of a "London break". We both wanted to see the West End production of "Oliver" and particularly wished to see Jodie Prenger as Nancy. OH and I had watched the TV programme "I'd Do Anything", the series of weekly auditions to find Nancy and Oliver for the new show, and right from the first had felt that Jodie Prenger was the girl for the part. When she won the role we were thrilled and both said we would like to see her playing the part in the show. So, a couple of weeks ago when the subject came up again about the tokens and which show we would like to see we agreed that "Oliver" was our preferred choice. Looking through the Sunday paper OH realised that Jodie Prenger would be finishing on March 27 so we needed to get our tickets booked. That dealt with we then decided to make it a day trip and reserved seats on a coach - the London Flyer - at £8 return each (bargain).

We left home at 7.45 am and were in London (Hammersmith) by 11.20 am, got the tube straight across to Covent Garden and found our way to Theatre Royal, Drury Lane. Our first time there and what a lovely theatre it is - old and plush and ornate. Opposite was an Italian restaurant so we went there for lunch before the show and still had time to wander around Covent Garden. It was a lovely sunny day and we spent about half an hour just strolling, watching street theatre and generally soaking up the atmosphere.



The show itself was wonderful. Griff Rhys Jones as Fagin and Jodie Prenger as Nancy were both performing that afternoon. Having only ever seen the film version before (many times), with Ron Moody so marvellous as Fagin, it was strange to see the part being taken by someone different, but Griff Rhys Jones was brilliant as was the young boy who played the Artful Dodger, and, of course, Oliver himself (not sure which boys played these two parts that day as there are 3 of each, alternating. There are 3 "gangs" as well. The whole show was fantastic, the songs, so familiar now, were a delight. And we were not disappointed with "Nancy" - Jodie Prenger was as good as we had expected her to be. She has been in the show since January 2009 and really fits her part. It was all thoroughly enjoyable.

We came out into the London rush hour and immmediately got the tube back to Hammersmith. A slightly different journey this time. On our way out there was plenty of room in the carriages but now, with everyone headed for home, it was more like "sardines". I was unable to hold onto anything so OH hung on to me. Eventually a young woman offered me her seat and I gratefully accepted. Our coach left London at 6.45 pm and we were back indoors by 10 pm. It had been a long but memorable day and has given me the taste for going back for a "city break", maybe later in the year, and really do the sights. And maybe catch another show!

By the way, if anyone is thinking of going to see the film "Invictus" - I mentioned a few days ago that we were going to see it - I can recommend it. I enjoyed it thoroughly and found it very moving.

14 comments:

DeniseinVA said...

That sounded like a lovely trip up to London Anne. Would love to see a live performance of Oliver and thanks for the recommend on Invictus.

Maggie May said...

Oliver is a lovely musical that I love very much.
Last time I did the London run was to see Joseph.

Nuts in May

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

What a trip!

I love it, that it was held at an old and plush and ornate theater. Love that!

Happy Spring hugs...

Cezar and Léia said...

Good to know you had a great time, how could it be different anyway in London? :)
God bless you!
Cezar

ADDY said...

So glad you enjoyed my city. For us Londoners we tend to take it fror granted.

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

Denise - I'm pretty sure you and Gregg would both enjoy it.

Maggie - I haven't seen Joseph - it is on my "wish list".

AuntAmelia's Attic - yes - most enjoyable. Happy Springtime to you.

Cezar and Leia - I always forget what a buzz I get from being in London.

Addie - I think that is true of most of us.

Tammie Lee said...

how nice that you got a trip to a show for a gift. Sometimes I think sharing an experience is more precious than another 'thing'. Sounds like you had a good as well as interesting time.

Gill - That British Woman said...

that does sound like a lovely day out. It's funny our ds was just talking about that movie today, he has it on dvd.

Gill in Canada

Akelamalu said...

Hi, I just popped over from somewhere (can't remember who's blog)as I was fascinated to see who is behind the name 'Strawberry Jam Anne' - such a lovely blog monica!

Your trip to London sounds great. It's ages since we've been to London but are thinking of going in August on the coach for a few days. We want to see 'The Jersey Boys' whilst we're there.

Dusty Spider said...

Sounds like you had a really good time! I used to live in London and hated the daily crush on the tube to get to work and back. Thank goodness those days are over. xxxx

Mara said...

It sounds like you had a great (but busy) trip. The last show I saw was a few years ago with my goddaughter: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Since then (it must have been 5 years ago now), I've been to London many times, but not had the chance to see a show again.

Chris said...

Hi Anne,
I have given you a Sunshine Award, so do pop along to my blog and pick it up. This is for persons like you who are amazing and creative and a joy to know!

Hugs Chris x

cheshire wife said...

Your £8 coach fare sounds a real bargain. Travel has improved a lot. We can now get from Chester to London, on the train, in two hours but it costs a lot more than £8. I think that a day return trip on a a coach would be too much. Matinee performances are a brilliant idea.

Kate said...

It sounds lovely - I loved Ron Moody as Fagin but I'm open to ideas too! :-) Busy day though - I think you should definitely go for the city break!!!
Kate
www.iramble.co.uk