Sunday 14 November 2010

Shoe Boxes for Christmas

I recently read about "Operation Christmas Child" and have been filling a couple of shoe boxes - one for a boy of 2-4 years and one for a girl of 5-9 years. The deadline for handing over the boxes is 18 November. When I looked at the web site and saw the looks of pleasure on the children's faces as they opened their gifts I was very moved and it made me determined to take part. This charity has been operating for 20 years, where on earth have I been?

In the coming year I will make or buy gifts in readiness for the 2011 deadline.

I have to wrap the boxes in Christmas paper then fill each one and take them to the drop off point in our town by Thursday. It is amazing what you can fit into a shoe box!


8 comments:

Pam said...

What a great idea and how thoughtful of you.
I saw this week that WalMart have bags of non-perishable food by the tills now that you can add to your trolley for the local foodbank, so that's a good way to give too (if you live near a WalMart obviously!).

Deb said...

that is a cool idea....

Gill - That British Woman said...

The church I go to is doing this. I must see what they are wanting as far as things to fill it and go and buy some stuff.

Gill in Canada

Cezar and Léia said...

It's a lovely idea!
Paws up for you all ( as little Luna used to say! )
purrs and love
Luna and mommy Léia

Brenda @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

It was a lovely treat to find your comment on my site today.

You will have fun putting these boxes together......... I haven't done it recently (maybe too disorganized these days?) but I did participate for a number of years and LOVED it.

Enjoyed seeing what you collected.

Ladybird World Mother said...

I love doing these, and haven't this year which I really regret... will make sure I do next year. x

DeniseinVA said...

What a super thing to do Anne. We have Toys for Tots over here, and also large containers at the supermarkets so that we can drop in food as we leave.

Martha said...

I was just wondering if I am too late this year...